Trustee Application - Palace for Life Foundation
The Palace for Life Foundation is the official charity of Crystal Palace FC.
Our mission is to help young South Londoners grow through the power of sport, inspiring them to find a better path in life, for a better life.
We believe that everyone matters, irrespective of race, religion, beliefs or background. And by giving extra support to the most vulnerable, we will help create a better community and society.
Although the name is new, we’ve been working with young people in our area for over 25 years. At our heart, we believe in the value of positive action and through the ‘Power of Palace’ helping young South Londoners enjoy the good that comes from taking part in sport and team activities. And, most importantly, keeping our young people safe is at the core of everything we do.
Our vision is to be recognised as the charity of choice for Crystal Palace fans, the foremost youth development organisation in South London and amongst the most pioneering football community foundations in the UK.
We run a range of programmes for young, and some not so young, people in South London. These include football academies, holiday courses, primary stars, disability football, women and girls, Kicks (community activities in areas of deprivation), employability and volunteering.
We are recruiting now for new members for our Board of Trustees, to serve for three years starting June 2017, to work on an unpaid basis to help steer the charity through the next phase of its development. Our aim is to build a team with the range of skills to take the Foundation to the next level and to support our three growth priorities of:
- Physical and mental health in children and young people
- Early interventions for young people at risk
- Readiness for work
We are looking for candidates with proven track record to enhance our current team of four Trustees, with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Education sector
- Health in children and young people
- Charity fundraising
- Commercial sponsorship
- Charity law
- Supporting young people in disadvantaged communities
- Preparing young people for work
General responsibilities of the Board of Trustees
- To ensure that the Foundation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure that the Foundation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- To ensure the Foundation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- To give firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- To safeguard the good name and values of the Foundation
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the Foundation
- To ensure the financial stability of the Foundation
- To protect and manage the property of the Foundation and to ensure the proper investment of the Foundation’s funds
- To appoint the Chief Executive Officer and monitor his / her performance.
Key personal qualities
- Commitment to the Foundation and willingness to devote time and effort to make the Foundation the best in its sector
- A passion for Crystal Palace FC is desirable but not essential
- Strategic vision
- Independent and impartial judgement
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Strong presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Commitment to equalities
The Palace for Life Foundation endorses the principle of equality and will strive to ensure that everyone who wishes to be involved in the club whether as players, match-day fans, staff, board members, participants in Foundation programmes and other people engaged with the club’s activities (for example, suppliers, corporate partners):
- Has a genuine and equal opportunity to participate to the full extent of their own ambitions and abilities, without regard to their age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, sex or sexual orientation; and
- Can be assured of an environment in which their rights, dignity and individual worth are respected, and in particular that they are able to enjoy their engagement at the club without the threat of intimidation, victimisation, harassment, bullying and abuse.
- The Palace for Life Foundation acknowledges its duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, and is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory requirements and responsibilities, government guidance, recognised best practice and complies with Premier League and EFL rules.
- The club expects all staff, players, volunteers, contractors and guests to share this commitment.
Please email Donald Forde at firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and a covering letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the roles and why you want to be considered.
Closing date for applications 5pm on 31st May 2017.
A small number of successful applicants will be invited for interview in June with the Board of Trustees and CEO, with a view to joining the Board in July.