Trustee Legal Lead
We are recruiting for a Trustee to join our board of Trustees, chaired by Ed Warner. The ideal candidate will have high level experience, working as a legal professional in either the corporate, public or charity sector.
Role Description and Person Specification
1. Role Summary
We are recruiting for a Trustee to join our board of Trustees, chaired by Ed Warner. The ideal candidate will have high level experience working as a legal professional in either the corporate, public or charity sector. You will have a genuine commitment to the Foundation’s core purpose of helping young south Londoners grow through sport and be prepared and able to apply your expertise to support the growth and development of the Foundation in line with Charity best practice.
2. About the Foundation
The Palace for Life Foundation is the official charity of Crystal Palace FC. Our mission is to help young South Londoners grow through the power of sport, inspiring them to find a better path in life, for a better life. We believe that everyone matters, irrespective of race, religion, beliefs or background. Our ambition is to be recognised as the charity of choice for Crystal Palace fans, the foremost youth development organisation in South London and amongst the most pioneering football community foundations in the UK.
We cover a broad spectrum, from football sessions for young people with a disability, to innovative youth development programmes in local schools and colleges. Targeting young people in areas of deprivation and at the most risk, we offer free sessions in sport and other activities, alongside pastoral support, to instil positive values and help prepare our participants for a better life. We have strong connections within the local community and businesses and run programmes designed to equip young people with the skills they need to start thinking about their future careers.
The Foundation’s CEO is supported by a strong Senior Management Team who together have responsibility for a growing staff team of 52 full time and 60 part time coaches, youth workers and trainers.
3. The Board of Trustees
Led by Ed Warner, our Foundation is governed by a Board of 10 Trustees who are drawn from a diverse range of backgrounds and who each have unique skills and expertise which they share for the benefit of the Foundation’s future. This follows an extensive Trustee recruitment process which took place in 2017 following a Skills Audit. Trustees are required to commit to attending Trustee Meetings which take place 4 times a year and are actively engaged in supporting the Foundation in between meetings. Trustees may also be required to be members of relevant sub-committees and must be willing to commit time to facilitate and attend specific meetings. The Board are working towards ensuring full compliance with all three tiers of the Sport England Code of Governance. This includes gender parity and diversity of Trustees in terms of gender, ethnicity, disability and other protected characteristics.
4. Key personal qualities which applicants should be able to demonstrate
- Commitment to the Foundation and willingness to devote the time and effort to make the Foundation the best in its sector.
- Strategic vision.
- Independent and impartial judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Strong presentation, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Commitment to equality of opportunity.
- A passion for Crystal Palace FC is desirable but not essential.
5. General responsibilities of the Board of Trustees
- Providing strategic direction for the Foundation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- Ensuring that the Foundation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Making sure that Foundation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document and its governance policy.
- Providing oversight and challenge for the Foundation’s Safeguarding arrangements for Children and Vulnerable Adults.
- Providing oversight to ensure the financial stability of the Foundation.
- Protecting and managing the property of the Foundation and to ensure the proper investment of the Foundation’s funds.
- To appoint the Chief Executive Officer and monitor their performance.
6. Specific responsibilities, experience and knowledge for the role of Trustee Legal lead
- Significant high level experience and expertise as a lawyer, solicitor or barrister working across all areas of the law, including corporate law.
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislative frameworks, including those that govern the work of a charitable organisation.
- Willingness and ability to proactively advise on legal issues which the Foundation may face, i.e partnership contracts.
- To mentor and support relevant staff on the operation of the law, particularly in a charitable context.
7. How to apply
Please forward a copy of CV and a covering letter to Donald.Forde@Palaceforlife.org by Sunday 20th October.